Today, I want to share how I hide vegetables into my kids jollof rice. If your kids like rice but not like vegetables, you need to get them to eat their veggies.
This rice dish is delicious and perfect for the whole family, my husband is not really into vegetables and does not like trying new food but he loves this rice. The good thing is your kid will not taste the vegetable in this rice.
I always advise mamas to serve vegetables with a child’s meal even if they are not going to eat it, if you are consistent in putting it on their plate one day they will have a taste. I don’t believe in forcing kids to eat what they do not like that’s why I like developing recipes with hidden vegetables.
I always make the pepper mix I used in this rice in batch and kept it in the refrigerator for other uses like Pasta sauce, stew, pizza source, and so on. The rice is served with fried plantain and chicken fingers(strips).
WHAT I USE AND THEIR BENEFITS
COCONUT MILK: I used homemade coconut milk in this recipe if you don’t have you can use can coconut milk but make sure the ingredients are just coconut and water no extra jargon.
- Coconut milk is a good source of vitamins and minerals.
- It aids digestion.
- It improves immunity.
- It is antibacterial.
- It contains essential fats.
- It helps kids gain weight.
CAULIFLOWER: One of the hidden veggies in this rice is cauliflower, so many kids don’t like this vegetable they may like the fact that it looks like a mini tree and has a bright white colour. Your kids will never taste the cauliflower in this recipe.
- Cauliflower is rich in vitamin C which helps the body absorb iron.
- It contains fibre.
- It is rich in Magnesium, riboflavin and more.
OILS: I used sesame oil, olive oil and butter instead of regular cooking oil. I love cooking with nut and seed oil because of its amazing benefit for children but you can use any oil of choice.
BENEFIT OF SESAME OIL
- Sesame oil is a good source of unsaturated fats.
- It helps boost your child immune system.
- It is rich in calcium
- It can also help your child wound to heal fast.
These are the guest ingredient in this jollof rice apart from their health benefit they add a unique taste to the rice. Make sure you use these ingredients when making this rice you can only substitute the oil.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
3 cups of rice
2 red capsicum (tatashe)
2 big carrots
3 medium tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
Long chilli(bower) you can habanero(rodo)
2 long spring onions
1/2 cup oil
2 tablespoon butter
2 cups of coconut milk
2 tablespoon spice or seasoning cubes
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon curry powder
Salt to taste ( I used 1 tablespoon)
Soak rice for 8 hours or overnight.
Grate or shred the cauliflower.
- Remove the seeds of the peppers.
- Cut the carrot, 1 onion, and spring onion. Slice the other onion and set it aside
- Put all into a pot and boil or grill until soft. It will take 7-10 minutes on medium heat.
- Let it cool a bit and blend. Take out 3-4 cooking spoons of the blended pepper.
- Put the pot on the stove on medium heat, add the oil and the sliced onions let fry till translucent.
- Add tomato paste and fry for 10-13 seconds, Add the pepper mix continuously to avoid burning.
- After 2-3 minutes add coconut water, thyme, curry, spice and salt cover and let it boil. Add rice After the water boils mix.
- Cover with parchment paper, kitchen towel and pot cover. Cook for 8 minutes and add the grated cauliflower mix together and add butter. Now turn off the stove if you are using an inferred stovetop, cover with parchment paper and pot cover for extra 3 minutes.
- Voila, coconut jollof rice is ready!
The cooking timing of your rice depends on the type of rice you are using so is better to test your rice to know if it’s completely done, I used basmati rice in this recipe.
Add water or more coconut milk if you are not using basmati rice.
I hope you and your little ones like this recipe as much as we do.