We love Nando’s chicken but it’s too spicy for my kids because they can’t tolerate spicy hot food. I always end up ordering fries and other kids friendly sides for them.
This is the reason I develop my Peri Peri sauce to marinate the chicken and turn to Peri Peri chicken my kids love.
I made this particular one with just red capsicum and my homemade chicken spice; however I have a full Peri Peri sauce recipe for kids that I will be sharing soon.
You need to roast the Capsicum in the oven before blending to get the smokey taste of Peri Peri sauce. You can watch the video of how I roast the pepper on my YouTube channel.
If your kids can tolerate spicy hot food you can add small chili to the capsicum also called bird eye pepper or add habanero. Try to remove the seed because pepper seeds causes bloating.
For the chicken, I don’t work with raw chicken so I added it to a boiling salted water for 10 minutes before using. If you are okay with raw chicken you can add the pepper to it without adding it to boiling water.
You can serve the chicken with this coconut rice my kids love.
Let’s make the delicious chicken.
Whole chicken (cut into medium size)
1/4 cup or more of capsicum paste
2 teaspoon Chicken spice
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoon vinegar
Salt to taste
Preheat your oven to 200C / 425F or 7 gas mark.
1. Boil some water, add salt and the chicken into the boiling water. Let it stay for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Drain the water and air dry the chicken or dry with tissue paper.
3. In a bowl add the pepper paste, chicken spice, salt and vinegar. Mix together and add chicken to it. Mix the chicken and the pepper until it fully coated.
4. Marinate for 3 hours or overnight. Bring the chicken out from the fridge 10 minutes before cooking. You can preheat the oven at this time.
5. Spray or brush baking pan with oil, add the chicken. Grill in a preheated oven for 20/25 minutes. If you use raw chicken you can extra time to cook the through, preferably 30 minutes.
I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as we do.