My kids love finger foods, they like the food they can just pick eat while walking around. Chicken pie is one of the finger food I make them.
This chicken pie makes it to their school lunch on request check how I pack it for school lunch HERE, we don’t have it on our school meal plan. If my kids request a certain recipe I developed that means the food or snack is superb!!! That’s why I decided to share this recipe endorsed by my lovely angels.
Have fun making this flaky pastry by using shape cutter to cut the pastry. I’ve never tried it before but this time I tried one and is lovely.
You can use beef for this recipe, just follow the measurement but change the chicken for beef. You can use the pastry recipe for Sausage rolls or fish roll, keep the pastry recipe and add the filling of choice.
I HOPE YOUR LITTLE ONE ENJOY THIS MINI CHICKEN PIE AS MINE DOES
- 300g/2 cups flour
- 225g/1 cup cold butter
- 1/4 salt
- 6/8 tablespoon of cold water
- 1 egg for brushing
- 250 grams minced chicken
- 1/4 peas
- 1/4 carrot
- 1/3 diced potato
- 1/4 sweet corn
- 1 medium diced onions
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley(optional)
- 1 teaspoon spice (ginger, garlic, thyme)
- 1 tablespoon of flour (for thickening)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- In a big bowl mix the sieved flour, salt, and cold butter
- Mix together to get a sandy texture
- Gradually add the cold water and mix till it forms a dough, do not over mix so that you will not lose the texture and coldness of the butter
- Wrap with cling film put it in the fridge for 10 mins.
- Pour the oil in a pan add the diced onions fry till translucent, add the minced chicken and fry till the chicken changes in colour
- Reduce the heat, add the spice and salt. At this point add the carrot, sweet corn, peas, and potato mix together and add water
- Cover to cook for some minutes, meanwhile add small water to the flour and mix to a not too watery consistency. To know your filling is cooked press the potato if is soft then is done, add the flour mixture to the cooked filling and mix well.
- Off the stove leave the mixture on the stove for the heat to cook the flour. Let it cool down before use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix egg with 1 tsp water for brushing
- Roll out the dough to round or triangle shape on a floured working surface
- Use any round tin or plate to cut out round shape, add 1 teaspoon full or more of the filling do not overfill, rub egg around the edge of the pastry
- Use another round shape pastry to cover, close it with a fork. Do same if you are using shape cutters
- Brush with egg and put on lined or brush a baking tray
- Bake for 20/25 minutes till golden brown
RECIPE TIP: If you don’t have minced chicken just throw a diced boneless chicken in food processor or blender grinder and minced.
DONT FORGET TO LIKE AND SHARE THIS RECIPE