Rice is one of our staple food in Nigeria, coconut rice is one of the rice dishes Nigerian family cannot do without. when it comes to rice dishes for lil angels I love getting creative because my baby girl is not a big fan of rice. I love adding what she loves to their rice dishes to encourage her.
She loves chicken, prawn and mix veggies, so, each time am making coconut milk rice or Tumeric rice I always play with the protein I add to the dish. This lovely dish can serve as lunch, dinner or make it to school lunch see how I pack it for school lunch HERE.
This delish rice is a one-pot recipe, who does not like that? I love one pot recipe I don’t need to do too much washing after cooking. I like Simple, easy and quick cooking. I always soak my rice 8 hours before cooking or overnight.
I hope you will try this easy recipe.
- 2 cups of rice
- 2 cups of coconut water
- 1/2 cup of stock or water
- 1/3 cup of fresh prawn
- 1/3 cup of diced boiled chicken
- 1/4 cup of diced carrot
- 1 diced onions
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- Add salt to your taste
- 1 rodo (habanero pepper) optional
- 1 bay leave
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tbsp butter (you can use 1 1/2 tbsp oil)
- In a cooking pot heat oil on a medium heat, add prawn and fry for 2/3 minutes, remove from the pot and add the boiled chicken fry till brown. Remove seed from rodo(habanero) and diced.
- Remove the chicken from the oil, add the diced onion and habanero to the oil, fry till translucent
- Add coconut/stock water, bay leave and the spice, cover to let it boil. After boiling add the rice and mix together
- Cover and cook till soft or for 10/15 mins depending on your stove temp and the type of the rice you use
- Add the prawn, chicken and carrot. Turn off the heat cover and let the softening the carrot. Then you have your coconut rice
- If you are going to parboil your rice use 1 to 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk.
- If you are going to soak the rice as I do, use 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk.
I hope your little one enjoy the meal as much as mine does.