As a parent or caregiver is our responsibility to create a set-up that helps our child maintain a healthy lifestyle. When it comes to a healthy lifestyle for children the role of parents matters, you have to be a role model to your child by practising a healthy lifestyle.
It is important to start a healthy lifestyle early for children so it becomes a habit that will help them grow strong and stay healthy.
When you mention a healthy lifestyle, the first word that strikes in the mind of a parent is food restriction which so many misunderstand for the keto diet, paleo diet and the likes.
Children do not need those forms of diets; it can do more harm than good. Healthy lifestyle is not food restriction! Those forms of diet mean, restricting the child from taking some certain food or sticking to a certain lifestyle. Before choosing a certain diet for your child it has to be on a doctor’s advice or due to allergy. Consult a paediatrician and a registered nutritionist if you think your child needs to be on diet. The vegan lifestyle is by choice if you want to choose that lifestyle you need to do your research or consult a registered nutritionist because you will need to know more about how to fix the gap of protein and calcium in your child’s diet.
Fuelling your child’s body with things that are good for their body like eating nutritious foods, exercising, hygiene, getting enough sleep and positive thinking are the elements of a healthy lifestyle for children. It is important to teach children how their bodies work and how what they eat and do can affect their bodies as they grow it will help them have a good relationship with food, their body and have great mental health.
SIX EASY STEPS TO A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
- Serve healthy and varieties of food that contain all the essential nutrients needed.
- Encourage water consumption even when they are not thirsty, serve water with a meal instead of juice.
- Encourage physical activities appropriate for their age.
- Attend to your child’s personal needs, listen to what he has to say and respect their personal opinion to help them have good mental health.
- A night of good sleep can have a positive impact on your child’s immune system.
- Teach your child good hygiene most especially dental health and handwashing habit.
These six steps will become a habit that will help your child have proper development and avoid childhood obesity with consistency.
Meanwhile, here are my five elements to a healthy lifestyle which I will be breaking down in the subsequent post because each one is a whole topic on its own.
Mental health/emotional well being
Every parent wants their kids to be happy and healthy but in reality, the parental goal can be formidable. In my next posts, I will talk about each topic for you to know the one you have already achieved and the ones you need to work on.
Do you intend to start a healthy lifestyle for your child and you don’t know where and how to start? You can work with me one on one to achieve the goal, click here to book a section.
- A child’s diet does not mean food restriction, it is the combination of healthy food, strength, mental health and sound sleep.
- Consult a registered nutritionist and paediatrics if you think your child needs a certain diet.