Hey mamas and papas
Today am sharing how I make kid’s friendly chicken pie. What’s so special about this pie, you ask? Let me break it down.
Children tend to eat what you serve them if make it their way like making it into shapes they like, make it sweet and make it easy to munch. Parents believe introducing family food to their little ones should serve the same way you serve it to the family. NO, it shouldn’t be. Make theirs look colourful and meaningful.
This chicken pie recipe is different from the regular chicken pie you are used to because is children chicken pie that you as an adult will like.
Anytime am making a pie I make in batches and freeze for over one month. Anytime I need it will bring it for 8 minutes and bake, I usually bake 5 minutes over required baking time.
Let’s bake a chicken pie
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
500g boneless chicken
11/2 cup spinach
1 large carrot (2 small carrots)
1 big onion
11/2 teaspoon chicken spice mix
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon thyme
3-5 tablespoon cooking oil
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 cup butter
chilled milk or water
HOW TO MAKE FILLING
- On a medium heat place, a saucepan adds oil and onion. Fry until the onion is translucent
- Add the chicken and stir continuously to break the chicken, After 2 minutes add the spice
- Add the vegetables, mix to incorporate. Add one to one and a half cup of water to cook the vegetable
- cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetable is cooked
- Mix one tablespoon of water to three tablespoons of water to make a thickener. Add it to the sauce and do not mix immediately
- Mix once the white colour disappears and the filling is ready
- Let it cool before using.
- Add the flour and salt in a large bowl
- Add butter and mix it to crumble texture
- In a cup add the chilled milk or water
- add honey or any sweetener you are using
- Mix the wet to dry gradually until a dough is form
- Let it rest for 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
MAKING CHICKEN PIE
- Divide the dough into two, roll it out
- Cut with a round shape cutter or use shape cutters
- fill in the sauce and use water around the dough (do not let it touch the filling)
- Place another shape on it and seal together, use a fork to puck it down.
- Brush with egg wash and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.