SPROUTED GRAINS, SEEDS AND NUTS FOR KIDS
Sprouting simply mean re-grow and the similar word is germinate. It is the process whereby seeds germinate and bring outshoot. The seeds produce new buds or other newly developing parts. To make seeds easier to digest and make body access the full nutritional profile of these seeds sprouting is essential.
WHAT CAN I SPROUT
Grains: Wheat, Guinean corn, rice, corn, millet.
Nuts: Almond, Peanut, walnut.
Seeds: sunflower, pumpkin.
Legumes: Beans, Lentils, Bambara.
WHAT DOES UNSPROUTED GRAINS & SEEDS DOES TO KIDS BODY?
Generally, our body is not designed to break down antinutrients in seeds compounds that lock up vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. Kids consuming high amounts of antinutrients can face a digestive problem or could cause distress to their intestine lining.
Sprouting and soaking seeds can break down antinutrients, make the seeds more digestible and unlock healthy compounds found in seeds and other related foods.
Antinutrients can causes problem to the gut. The problem with antinutrients is that once the kid consumes Antinutrient foods, they can create a negative reaction in the guts and trigger an autoimmune problem, including leaky gut syndrome. This is why some kids react badly after eating grains, nuts and bread (such as wheat products). The most common Antinutrient in a plant is PHYTIC Acid.
Phytic acid can block the absorption of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc in the intestinal tract. That is why a diet high in improperly prepared whole grains, seeds or nuts may lead to serious mineral deficiencies.
BENEFIT OF SPROUTED GRAINS
1. Sprouting Reduces The Antinutrient: Sprouting helps reduce the presence of antinutrients and phytic acid, improve in digestion and nutrient absorption. Nutrients like calcium, zinc, and iron
2. Increases Protein In a Certain Food: Depending on the exact seed that is sprouted, proteins in the form of amino acids can become more concentrated and absorbable in sprouted foods. Beans, lentils, Bambara nuts, peanuts and almond nuts are rich in protein sprouting these foods will increase the availability of protein. More so, the protein in gluten can also decrease in grains like wheat when sprouted.
3. Makes Food Easy To Digest: Another major benefit of sprouting is to unlock the beneficial enzymes. These enzymes make all types of grains, seeds, beans and nuts easier on the digestive system.
4. It Increases The Fiber In Wholegrain: Sprouting increase the amount of dietary fibre, a type of fibre that helps with bowel movement and reducing the occurrence of constipation after consuming grains.
5. Sprouting Aids Digestion.
In conclusion, Sprouts are an important part of a healthy diet for little tummy and are often overlooked by parents. When buying store-bought cereal or any grains, nut and legumes base food for your kids make sure is sprouted or just stick to homemade.
However, do not feed your little one raw sprout. The reason raw sprouts are risky is that they must be grown in warm, humid conditions in which harmful bacteria such as E-coli grows but if sprouting materials are well-sterilized germ may not grow. Cooking sprouts on a certain temperature will kill any bacteria that grows while sprouting.
HOW TO SPROUT A GRAIN
- Soak the grain or legumes overnight or for 18 hours. Soak it a container that has lead or cover with net or muslin cloth.
- The next morning drain the water and cover with a net or cover halfway if using lead. You will be rinsing the grains every day.
- Once you see the white sprout you can use or sprout it further. The more you sprout the more you lock the nutrients and reduce the phytic acid.